4.23.2009

important things: palabras

I hope you all had the chance to read the first installment of "important things"!

(Please, keep in mind with these posts that this is all in good fun, I like Peru, love my friends here, and respect the people, this is just to give a little -sarcastic- view into my life here.)

With no further adieu, I present take 2,
"Important Things Peru: Palabras"

I've found when going to a country, it's good to know the native language. (smart, right? yes, it's how I got into Madison, thanks.) Knowing the slang and common phrases? Also good, but much harder to prepare for. I've been in Peru for almost 2 months now, and have compiled a list of common phrases/words that are must-knows for this dear country.
So here goes:

"¡Qué rico!" I have put this first because it is by far the thing I hear most often. All the time in fact. About everything. Gah. This literally would translate to "How rich!" and is most often (but not limited to) describing foods.
El jugo (juice) tonight? RICO!
La sopa (soup) tonight? RIQUISIMA!
El postre (dessert) tonight? RIQUSISISISIMA!
Pisco sours, Vino tinto? I'll let you take a guess at it
(I get a rich dessert, but orange juice? dude it just tastes like Tang.)
As you can tell, it doesn't com.plete.ly grind my gears or anything.

"¡Qué raro!" Literal translation: How rare! It would be a nice phrase if it was also, similar to its sister phrase above used every once and a while. But it is used often, and in situations where something a liiittle kinder than just "how odd" is due.
A friend is late to dinner? QUE RARO! (understandable)
Men with guns outside the house? QUE RARO! (not "que TERRIFYING?)
World War III is starting in Peru? QUE RARO! (not DUCK AND COVER?)

"Chévere" Translation: Awesome! Sweet! Cool! If you are young and in Peru, know this word. You will use it/hear it all the time.

"Chelas" Translation: Beer. Of course, as we all know, the most important words to know when going to any country are "bathroom" and "beer". Sure, you can use "cerveza" here, but "chela" is the slang.

" xD, :S, =S, u_u" Now, while most of us got over the "emoticon" phase when we were 7th graders on AIM, Peruvian youth seems to have missed the memo.

"China/Chino" Anyone of any even remotely Asian-looking descent. But according to them it's not them being racist. Hm.

"Broaster" GAH. This one gets me almost as much as "que rico". In the USA, nowadays a lot of the frat types use the word "Bro" to call each other by. Here is Peru, they use "broaster". Take the amount I hate hearing the word "bro" in the USA and multiply it by 16. Luckily, the guys I hang out with here don't use it. Much like the great guys of 525 back in Madison. Thank. God.

"Que Vergüenza" Now, in good old Spanish 101 we were taught this means "embarrassing". Thus, when my roommate was telling a peruvian friend about a robbery and he replied "que verguenza" to her my immediate reaction was "thanks for the sympathy, jackass". Turns out here it also means "how shameful". He was being nice. Oops! My bad.

Alright, this should be sufficient for now...

Besos y Abrazos!

3 comments:

  1. hahaahahaha.

    Primero: gracias por decir q estamos en una etapa pre-escolar (the emoticons).

    Segundo: "chino", es lo menos ofensivo racialmente. Es practicamente una palabra q se usa para, digamos, ubicar a los peruanos de origen asiático en el "mapa mental" del grupo de amigos. Es una convención amigable, cariñosa.

    Tercero: Nunca te diría algo como "que verguenza que te robaron".

    Por este ultimo punto, te imaginarás quien soy -jojolete-. Te mando un abrazote, ojalá que este fin de semana podamos salir a huevear. A las catacumbas, a comer anticuchos o a donde sea.

    bye,
    el mejor amigo.

    pd: después me preguntas que significa "jojolete".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que Rico I am learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here 'chinos' is slang for kids. Go figure.

    They also enjoy the 'que rico.'

    And don't even get me started on the emotions and 'besos y abrazos.' VOMIT.

    ReplyDelete