6.18.2009

gettin' out of lima.

In case you haven't heard me mention (okay, complain) about Lima weather, it's grey here.
And cold.
And foggy.
I miss the sun. Truly.

So Ash, Katie, Jake and I are headed to Arequipa wayyyy down south at 3:45 am this Friday. It's going to be ridiculously cold there since it is in the mountains, but at least there will be sunshine!
Arequipa is the second largest city in Peru, with almost 1,000,000 people and is surrounded by three gigantic volacanoes.
We will be busing to Colca Canyon (which is twice as deep as the Grand Canyon) to go on a tough 2 day hike. The first day is straight downhill, then we'll be staying in the canyon (brrrr) overnight, and the second day is a treacherous hike back up. The canyon is known for being home to the Andean Condors, and also has natural hot springs which we hope to hit up during our stay in Chivay! I have been warned about altitude sickness, and we all know how well my trek in Huaraz went, so wish me luck...

On a completely unrelated-to-peru-note: We found out my sister will be having a baby girl in November! If you know Ann and Brooks, send your congrats!

Hope you all have a happy summer weekend, and Happy Father's Day on Sunday, mainly to the best father on the face of the planet (mine, of course).

Besos y Abrazos

2 comments: