3.11.2009

free cotton candy? si, por favor.


I always thought that running away to the circus was the only way to get free cotton candy.
I was wrong.
Ashley, Katie, and I were walking through a supermarket today, and I see people holding cotton candy.

----For those of you who really know me, you can guess how long it took me to find where the source was.
----For those of you who don't: it took under 5 seconds. In a double-level market the size of a large department store. Yes.

And it was free. Free. Naturally I took a picture, I am that cool.

Katie and I have 2 more roommates, Ashley is also from Madison, and Jenna is from Indiana. Orientation for school was today which was even more boring than SOAR, which I did not think was possible. The only interesting part was at the end we had a safety lesson. We get to the room, and the powerpoint was entitled "Survivng Peru".
Not "Living safely but having fun in Peru"
SURVIVING.
Awesome. Love the optimism in this country.
Our teacher was very animated in explaining where we should sit in the taxi ("behind the driver so he can't as easily pull a gun on us, and plus we can choke him if we he tries anything funny"), how to be safe alone ("you are NEVER safe alone"), etc. The best part was that she was saying all this in rapid Spanish with elaborate motions and sound effects. It was like a one-woman comedy act...but TeleMundo style.

It's hot and humid here, not to rub it in to those of you in chilly MN or WI...
To make you feel better, Katie and I had gotten cocky about sunscreen, and when in Huaraz on our hike we wore hats and put sunscreen on our face- but forgot our ears. (yes mom, I know, you are shaking your head at me right now). Needless to say we now have lovely blisters. Definitely going to get myself a Peruvian boyfriend with like this. Mmmm-mmm. Nothing says sexy like bright red ears.
Speaking of Peruvian boyfriends....

So, our Señora (host mom), is a feisty 70 year old who speaks her mind and encourages us to do the same. Last night at dinner, the 4 of us were chatting with her after dinner about novios-boyfriends. 2 of the roommates have them, and Ash and I were joking with her how we need to get one as well. She promptly replied "Ay Laura, no. No necesitas un novio, necesitas un "amigo cariñoso"".
Translation: Laura, you don't need a boyfriend, you need a "caring male friend".
Caring male friend? I'll let your imagination go to work here.

Tonight we ended dinner with a shot of Divino Pecado- a liquor that has Lucuma and Pisco in it.

Between free cotton candy, great advice from my host mom, and now knowing how to choke a taxi driver, I do believe I will LOVE living here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm down with choking thing. Do you have to see the gun first?

    ReplyDelete